Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Prayer for Mother/Daughter relationships.

I come to you today with a heavy heart. Growing up as a child, I had a topsy turby relationship with my mother. At the age of 18, I was throughly convinced that I hated my mother. She was the strictest, meanest woman in the world to me. You could have never told me, that by the time I became a GROWN woman ( I'm 32 ), that I would now consider my mom to be my best friend. There are things now, that I didn't understand then, that have changed my perspective on mothers.

I know now that my mother was the way she was, in an effort to keep me from going through the things she did at my age. Teen pregnancy, mental and physical abuse and low self esteem, just to name a few. In my ignorance I never could have imagined myself going through the things she did. I thought I knew it all. I had it all figured out. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been there and done that.

So now as I watch my niece go through with her mom, I hurt for her. Her situation is a bit different from mine, but none the less still heart breaking. To see my sister put a man before her child, to choose him over her daughter, to put her daughter out in the street because of him, hurts me. Girls need their mothers, just as much as boys need their fathers. I don't understand how you can put a man that you don't know, over a child that you carried for 9 months, that you raised for 18 years and just be ok with it.

You all get the point right? All of it is wrong and it needs to STOP! So I come to you today asking that you all would stand in agreement with me in prayer for our mothers, our sisters, our nieces, our cousins, our godchildren, our aunts, and our grandmothers.

That God would show us how to connect with each other in loving, healthy and prosperous ways. That we would realize that God gave us to each other as a special gift. A gift that should be cherished and nurtured to the best of our abilities. See this missing guidance,love, and understanding is the reason why we have young women selling themselves to the highest bidder, thinking we are not worth anything more than a night of sex, a purse, a pair of $65 shoes, an outfit, a hair do! Y'all get where I'm coming from. There are so many young ladies, right here in Dayton, Oh where I am from, that are lost. I was one of them and in some ways I am not quite healed myself but I am well on my way. I know I am not the only one that God has helped to heal, that God has blessed to see things differently now and I pray that more of our sisters, daughters, grandmothers, mothers, cousins, godchildren, women in general would be open to change and understanding that we are so much more than something to be misused.

Thank you all in advance for praying with me and I look forward to seeing changes happen in the lives of our young people and their mothers!

Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment